HOW’S A DRESS YOKE DIFFERENT FROM TARDIS?
My goal is to recreate this dress. I am using 100% cotton – Cotton Soft Speciale Baby by Lane Mondial (180m/50g). It’s not as shimmery as the yarn in the picture, so the overall effect will be slightly different. I am using US crochet terminology throughout. I am blogging in quite a detail to document for me and for anyone else who is interested the whole process. Click on tag “Red Dress” to see all related posts.
So, the same night as I wrote last post, I swatched a few more times, with the best result as below: on the picture to the right the top row are the motifs I had done by the time I decided to try another pattern in 3.25 mm hook, below to the left the same motif using 3.00mm hook and the best attempt at a closer resemblance of the original to the right. The right picture is the close-up of the dress Terry’s wearing:
I could not decide anything that night, so I let it be for a couple of days. Only to see that my first impression grew stronger – I like the motif I initially had chosen better – but using a smaller (3mm hook). \
After the decision was made I set to work. I decided to go from top down and estimated that I’d need 6 motifs for the neck. I joined those as I went, using what I could see clearly on the picture: two spikes on each side, leaving 2 on top and 2 on bottom free. Only when I tried it on my dummy, I could see that it’s not working out, as elements would not lay flat, and it was quite obvious that no amount of blocking would fix that:
As I was almost hopelessly toying with my garland it finally struck me! I could now see clearly how dumb I was -and what the solution should be. I am effectively trying to make a round yoke. Round yoke’s diameter is smaller on the inside and larger on the outside (unlike TARDIS). And the solution is pretty obvious when you know it: the motifs should be joined so that on the top, there’s just one spike free, and on the bottom there are three – and the motifs are still joined at the two spikes on each side (there’s a picture below if that doesn’t make sense).
So, despite it being after midnight, I partially ripper last rounds of all motifs, to separate them:
I then connected them as describes above, and the result was perfect!
After that, I wanted to continue downwards. After making a brief practice run on the other garland I made with larger hook, I realised that it this point it would be too complex for me to manage the yoke, with all the increases, yoke shaping etc.
One thing I’m pretty certain about is, is that stripes of round motifs should have narrower stripes of “waves” on each side, and you join the waves of the two.
My plan for now, is to make the straight “skirt” – from hips down, so that there is no shaping. I will there master the waves and how to join them. I will then work my way up, with simpler shaping for waist, then create the bust line of motifs – it will be three parts – one for the front, and two for the back, to allow for some sort of buckling.
By then I should be very confident with wave-making to create the last piece to join in the yoke.
For this past week I have only been working on this dress.
Click on tag “YoP” to see all related posts.